Monday, July 7, 2014

Paint Chip Mosaic

So I recently moved into a new house, and was struggling to find cheap decorations for my walls that didn't look awful. After many Pinterest searches, I came across the idea of making a paint chip mosaic! The inspiration comes from here, and I pretty much copied the design exactly since I love sunflowers.

The first step is going to the hardware store and stealing a ton of paint chips. This is the best step. You get to pretend that you are painting all the rooms in your house, and that you really need 15 chips of the same color, just in case. Maybe you have 15 roommates and they all want their own sample to approve before you paint it. I made up a lot of stories in my head like this, in case a store employee asked me what I was doing. No one did.

Despite stealing like 100, I still ran out of the colors I needed but luckily found this entire book of them in our garage!

Next you trace out your design lightly in pencil, cut your paint chips in to small, uneven squares and get to pasting! (Note: This will take 1 million years).


I made my pieces a little too small, so it really took forever. I did each piece individually, putting a dab of glue on the back of each with a toothpick. It's good to watch old episodes of Arthur while doing this. 


I framed it on some white printer paper, and voila!


It really complements my craigslist chair.


Final thoughts: Would I recommend this project? I guess, if you are under-employed, not easily bored, have TV to catch up on, and your housemates don't mind having a table covered in newspaper and glue and scraps of paper for weeks. 
The end result was quite nice though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment