Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Jellybean Pancakes

When I first announced my intent to make jellybean pancakes, I was widely ridiculed. But these pancakes came out amazing, so I guess I proved everyone wrong!

I love jellybeans. I always forget about them until around Easter, then I eat so many I feel sick.
I used Starburst jellybeans. My original intent was to crush them up a lot then add them to the batter almost like sprinkles. But turns out Starburst jellybeans are pretty much indestructible. I smashed them with a lot of heavy objects, but only managed to crush a few. So I ended up adding them pretty much whole.


I was a little worried the jellybeans would stick to the pan. Although they did melt a little, the melted sugar came right off.


The recipe I used promised super fluffy pancakes, which is what I wanted so that the jellybeans wouldn't stick out too much. And boy, they were fluffy. I cut the amount of recommended sugar in half since I figured the jellybeans were sweet enough.
They did stick together once I stacked them, but were so delicious.


The pancakes themselves were fluffy and light, and the jellybeans added a burst of flavor and chewiness. They almost force you to eat slower because you have to chew more, which heightens your appreciation of the flavors.


Maybe I should leave some of these out for the Easter bunny...


Jellybean Pancakes
Makes 5 small thick pancakes 

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup jellybeans, slightly smashed
  1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
  2. In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk, and butter then pour into dry mixture
  3. Add jellybeans and stir
  4. Cook on a hot buttered frying pan - about 1/3 cup batter per pancake (batter will be very thick!)
I would recommend soaking your dishes right away after you are done cooking to get rid of any stickiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment