Saturday, June 8, 2013

Doughnut Pancakes

In case you missed it, yesterday was National Doughnut Day. (It's also National Candy Month, which I think I am doing a pretty good job of honoring every day). 
Here is a picture of some doughnuts my mom made from scratch last Christmas to give you some idea of what I am trying to live up to:


Mine were not quite as beautiful but they sure tasted like doughnuts. Since I was alone I cut the recipe in half, but then forgot and ending up adding twice as much oil as I needed to the batter. It also was really thick, so I added a ton more milk than called for. The batter is really thick, then you add extra oil to the pan to cook them so it's almost like frying. 

The original recipe said to put the batter in a Ziploc and cut the end and squeeze it out into a perfect doughnut shape, but who has time for that seriously? I just blobbed it on. 



They came out nicely, and I didn't even burn myself on hot oil. 



Next, you make the frosting! Try not to burn your butter and spill your sugar. 


I don't know how she got her frosting so white looking. Maybe her butter wasn't burnt. I think the vanilla would turn it brownish anyway though. Despite overheating the pan and accidentally boiling everything, the frosting tasted great. Like a real doughnut! Must be all the sugar. 


These actually tasted like a wonderful hybrid between a doughnut and a pancake. Forget those cronuts everyone is talking about. This is the next big thing.



After eating one, I also felt the same way I generally feel after eating a doughnut. Slightly ill. But totally worth it.


Doughnut Pancakes
Adapted from Cooking Classy 
Makes 6 pancakes
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups milk  
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon applesauce
  • 1.5 tablespoons sugar
For glaze:
  • 1/8 cup butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl
  2. Whisk milk, egg, vegetable oil, applesauce, and sugar in a larger bowl then add in the flour mixture
  3. Cover the entire bottom of a heated non-stick pan with vegetable oil, then use a ladle to pour batter into a doughnut shape. As more oil as needed while cooking. 
For glaze:
  1. Melt butter in a skillet (you can use the same one you cooked the pancakes in, just make sure it's not too hot!)
  2. Add sugar, salt, and milk until dissolved then mix in baking soda
  3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
  4. Serve warm on top of pancakes



No comments:

Post a Comment