Sunday, March 17, 2013

Peppermint Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I decided to celebrate with green pancakes. I have a surplus of green food dye from last St. Patrick's Day, for some reason...

I made the pancakes at Ellen's apartment, but I had to go to work first, so I mixed all the dry ingredients in the morning and put them in a plastic bag. I also threw the dye and the extracts in my bag. I think some leaked, because today I ate an apple that was also in my backpack and it tasted strangely minty. 

The recipe I based this off was for mint chocolate chip pancakes, but I didn't have mint extract. They were all sold out at the store too! So I just stole some of Natalie's peppermint, leftover from Christmas baking. 



I was kind of tired after work, so I just threw all the wet ingredients on top of the dry and mashed them around with a spoon. 

I substituted plain yogurt for buttermilk (partially because buttermilk was too hard to find in the store, partially because whenever I buy it I never use the whole thing). But then the batter was too thick, so we poured in some milk until it was the right consistency. 


Green soup! 



They were nice and fluffy.


And they smelled just like mint chocolate chip ice cream!


We ate them for dinner with vanilla ice cream.


The peppermint flavor was very strong, but not in a bad way. Although highly reminiscent of shots of peppermint schnapps with chocolate syrup.


Peppermint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Adapted from Epicurious 
Makes 9-10 medium pancakes 

  • 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 4 drops green food dye
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
  2. Add in wet ingredients and stir
  3. Stir in chocolate chips
  4. Cook over medium heat (I used about 1/2 cup of batter per pancake)
  5. Serve with vanilla ice cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment