Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gluten Free Grits Waffles


I went home for Easter and decided to make gluten free pancakes since my little sister has celiac. And I had a lot of grits to use up from the last waffles. 

My mom has this new fantastic sign hung above the stove. It's so practical! 


I used essentially the same recipe as the non-gluten free ones, but replaced the flour with this.


I asked my mom if we had any grated cheese. Her response: "No. ... But there's cheese. And a grater." 
Sooo haaaard. 


They were not as thick with the gluten free flour, so I ended up using more batter per waffle. I also replaced the butter with oil out of sheer laziness.


 I also omitted the chives because all our chive plants were still covered in snow and I kept forgetting to stop at the grocery store.


We ate them with butter. My family kept trying to add maple syrup but I stopped them. Maple and cheese? Gross.

I'm actually not sure if my little sister ate any. By the time she woke up, I was already taking my morning nap.


Yum.


Gluten Free Grits Waffles
Makes 10 waffles 
Adapted from Joy the Baker 

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup dried grits (polenta)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup Bob's Red Mill GF flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
  1. Boil the water, then add grits and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes
  2. Remove from heat and stir in oil and milk
  3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder
  4. Whisk egg and stir into dry mixture
  5. Pour grits mixture into bowl, then add cheese. Stir until evenly mixed. 
  6. Cook in waffle iron! 
I used about 1/2 cup of batter per waffle and left them in until most of the steam coming from the iron had died down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment