Friday, April 19, 2013

Vegan Tea Pancakes


The whole city of Boston is on lockdown, so there's not much to do. I spent a while watching the news, painting my nails with polka dots, eating bagels, reading magazines, doing yoga on the porch, and cleaning my room. 
And bothering Natalie while she tried to work from home. 


Then I decided to make pancakes! Thankfully we had just enough flour. The grocery stores near us are closed, but a few convenience stores are open. 

This is a combination of a few recipes. The first used an instant pancake mix, and just substituted tea for water. The other was a vegan recipe that used water in place of milk. 

I used Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea. I don't normally drink tea so I spent about half an hour in the tea aisle trying to decide. It turned out to be a good choice. 


It was nice and flavorful, but very bright. I thought maybe this would turn the pancakes a lovely pink color. It did not.


But they came out fluffy at least!


Despite the odd color, they were good. They tasted like tea!


Natalie said they looked like mold. I can't argue. Maybe if I used a darker tea? Or didn't use cinnamon.


I ate one plain, then I ate one with Natalie's homemade marmalade.


Don't let the color discourage you from trying these! They are super easy and very versatile depending on what tea you use.

Vegan Tea Pancakes
Makes 6 small pancakes
  • 1.25 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1.75 cups cold tea 
  1. Brew tea. (I used 3 tea bags in 2 cups of boiling water and left them for about 20 minutes to make it strong.) Put tea in fridge to cool.
  2. Mix other ingredients then add cooled tea. Mix lightly and let sit for a few minutes. 
  3. Cook on a heated frying pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment