Friday, July 29, 2011

Blini (Russian Pancakes)

So this recipe called for buckwheat flour, which they don't have at any store near my apartment. Lacking the energy to bike thirty minutes to the other Whole Foods, I used regular flour.

Realized I still do not know what "beat egg whites until stiff" means. (Sounds like a double entendre now that I am looking at it). I think there was a part in Julie and Julia about it, but I guess I wasn't paying attention. I usually just swirl them around a bit with a fork. I don't have a whisk.

But I do now have measuring utensils, courtesy of Ellen, who flew them up from DC for me!
In addition to the flour, I substituted half a cup of water for milk because I ran out and vegetable oil for butter because I was too lazy to melt the butter.

The first step of this recipe was adding yeast to the flour and letting it rise. Luckily I am a student and have lots of time to sit around and watch Arthur while waiting for this.
The dough was nice and bubbly and made thin pancakes. Many, many thin pancakes. Leftovers!
The recipe recommended serving them with caviar or hard-cooked eggs and sour cream. Gross. We ate them for dinner with butter, salt, and broccoli. They were pretty tasty.
But even tastier was eating them the next morning spread with plain yogurt and raisins rolled up inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment