Thursday, October 13, 2011

Indian Fried Bread

I've taken a short hiatus from pancake making, partially because I was focusing on pumpkin whoopie pies. They were so amazing, this picture does not even do them justice.
But mostly I was a little afraid of this next recipe. It involved frying in shortening. That's a lot of shortening.
The dough was mainly flour, with a small amount of baking powder, sugar, and warm water. The instructions very clearly stated to stir the dough "counterclockwise only" until the dough just forms. With such clear directions there, it was vague on the actual shape to make the dough, so I guessed.

The shortening was supposed to be kept at 375 degrees. I have no idea what temperature actually was. I started using a giant fork to lower the dough in to avoid splashing it everywhere (at least I was wearing my safety goggles.)
Nothing caught on fire!
They came out like little fried dough bites.
Yum! They are a little tough to chew, but overall I am impressed with my frying skills. Maybe I'll move on to doughnuts next!
Note: This recipe is not actually from India, as I originally thought. It is from the politically incorrect Lac du Flambeau Wisconsin Chamber of Commerce, and supposedly Native Americans made it. As evidenced by the little illustrations of tepees in the cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment