Friday, December 23, 2011

Wisconsin Swiss Pancakes

Can you believe this is the last pancake recipe?! True to form, I made some extremely liberal substitutions in this one. Instead of buttermilk baking mix I used flour, a dash of baking soda, a bit of baking powder, some salt, and some vinegar. I did not measure.
I also tried to half the recipe, but then I forgot and added normal amounts of egg and something else. Instead of shredding the cheese, I ripped pieces off with my hand. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the cheese was not from Wisconsin.

Recipe said they could be eaten with sauteed apple slices. Daphne sauteed them in olive oil and added some cinnamon to complement the nutmeg in the pancakes.
Despite everything, they were spectacular!!! We ate them for dinner with the apples on them. The cheese was gooey and perfect. It was either fate or I am getting really good at this!
Hooray!
Now that pancakes are done, I suppose I should reflect. The only thing I can think of was that I wished there were more classic pancake recipe, like hearty breakfast ones that you eat with syrup. Instead this book seemed to contain lots of egg-y pancakes from Scandinavia.
I also learned that it is very important to make your friends come over and eat pancakes, or else you will have leftovers and you will have to eat subpar pancakes yourself forever.

Stay tuned for waffles and then crepes, coming up after the holidays!!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment