Thursday, February 9, 2012

Overnight Yeast Waffles

Scalding milk sounds dangerous to me, so I just heated it up in the microwave until it felt hot.
Pouring salt directly out of the can into the batter is not always the best idea. I was able to pick some of it back out, but a little salt never hurt anyone, right?
I added the milk and flour and salt to yeast dissolved in water and let it sit overnight.
In the morning I added an egg and oil (instead of butter which is a pain to melt)
The yeast mixture swallowed up the egg and oil. It was a bit scary actually.
The batter was thick and gooey, like a weak bread dough.
The recipe said it made 8 waffles, and for once it actually did!
Stef said they tasted like dinner roles. Glen said he likes to put enough syrup on my waffles so that he can't taste them.
I ate mine with blackberry jam, which I think originated at the Littleton Unitarian church fair.
They were good, but not good enough to warrant the waiting overnight part. And why do you need yeast in waffles when you are just going to flatten them anyway?

1 comment:

  1. Melting butter in the microwave is very similar to using the microwave to scald milk, except you don't make it quite as hot. ;)

    Scalding milk means to heat it up until it steams and there are little bubbles around the edges. There is a protein in milk which will interfere with the rising of bread, for example. I expect that the recipe called for this because it contains yeast. I also expect that the waffles are lighter with the yeast.

    ReplyDelete