Friday, March 2, 2012

Whole-Wheat Waffles

These waffles were full of good stuff like whole wheat, honey, cinnamon, and apple juice (thanks for the apple juice, Natalie!) The honey bear is standing on his head.

But when mixed together, the batter was very thin. The first batch I tried stuck to the waffle maker. I added more whole wheat flour (about 4 heaping spoonfuls) and greased the iron and they got better. They were still not very crisp.
I ate the rejects for a snack as I made the rest of the batch.
Stef said they were "bouncy like a trampoline!" It was true. They had an odd consistency. It may have been from the 4 egg whites in the batter. If a waffle isn't crisp, you might as well be eating a pancake.
You can see the progression from bottom to top as I perfected the amount of batter. It's like a geological sequence.
Overall, they were not too bad, but I probably wouldn't make them again. I'm sure there are better whole-wheat waffle recipes out there.

So folks, that's it for waffles. In about an hour Stef and I are leaving for Iceland! When we get back, prepare yourselves for crepes!

No comments:

Post a Comment